Sunday, June 21, 2009

Water Fountains on Street Corners


Seattle, Washington
The idea of going out to a new land was what the west was founded on. The great epidemic that took over the country was the desire to forge a new frontier, where rights, freedoms, and land were still for the taking. That is exactly what was accomplished. In 1893, Fredrick Jackson Turner said that the “frontier was gone.” After going as far west possible in the continental United States I must disagree with Mr. Turner.
It may be true that the physical aspect of the frontier has been discovered and learned by people, but that is not America’s only frontier. By saying that the frontier is gone I feel that we do not give proper respect to the many journeys that have yet to be made for the better-ment ( new word made just for this occasion) of America. A frontier is defined by me as a place where not only can a person learn of new lands, ideas, or people but they can also learn about themselves. From this definition I believe that saying America’s frontiers are dead is a complete falsehood. I believe that the battles that Americans’ fight in pursuing the American dream are forms of a different (but still very present and alive) frontier. Since these frontiers can find their battle fields in Americans’ morals and views, not just west of the Mississippi River they are harder to pin point and define.
While I feel this way I also think that I should give major props to the millions of men and women who made the hard journey west. The land was in no way forgiving or inviting even. There are places that are both barren and dry where living would require thinking very different from what was used in the east or the opposite with places like the Redwood Forest. There you find trees that are these beautiful but forlorn giants. I know if I was a pioneer on this foreign frontier I would be horrible company by that point. Looking at just the hardships that I can see through my 21st century lens of the world I know that these amazing people accomplished something spectacular. With that in mind I am going to curl up in bed. The next few days we will be in the National Parks with probable little to no internet and phone service so the group will be off the radar for a few days. Till next time peace my fellow people.




Ps. An explanation for the title.

In both Portland and Seattle I saw an abundance of random water fountains throughout the streets in the main areas of the cities. I thought they were a great contrast for recognizing just how far we have came as a nation. From the beginning when people were desperately seeking water as they crossed the frontier, to the need for public water that was recognized by high numbers of intoxicated people, to now and the complete ease that many Americans can come upon this precious commodity that almost all of us (myself included) take completely for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment