Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Paved an Old World Paradise

El Paso.
Nature is a captivating thing for me. I long to find serenity in the outdoors so when I woke this morning in El Paso to find all these rugged and barren mountains I was at a loss of how to respond. By the end of tonight I have concluded that I really enjoy this beautiful yet strangely ugly landscape. They are not adorned with foliage or such but I feel in that simplicity they hold an odd magnetism for me.

While we were visiting Fort Bliss we visited the original barracks. It was strange to compare the new with the old. There was such a stark difference. What once was millions of acres of barren land was now covered with military stuff. It was a drastic contrast to what once was.

I cannot say that I liked it or did not. I saw the need for it and the reason; after all if you are going to spend billions on such a monstrosity then it might as well be in the middle of this once empty space. Still though I see the sadness in the act of paving over this desert land. The land around it has the appearance of having been there through the trials and tribulations that only nature and history can know. This upset because no where did I see this beauty preserved, only hidden or destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment