Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Architecture: Building and Information

New Orleans Continued
This city left me with a deep sense of fascination and puzzlement that I still haven’t put a finger on why yet. I honestly believe another trip (or 2 or more) would be necessary for that to occur.

I was talking to Jenni today about what we each enjoy taking pictures of. I love photographing things, because they are more fixed than people. And because they only exist because of many people meaning they have a story. I am a sucker for a story. They are many more reasons however this is the most important one so we will go with it.

Walking around Bourbon St and the French market is a remarkable experience for the eyes, actually all of New Orleans is because of the extremes that exist in such close proximity to one another. The architecture is breath taking because it is dramatic or because it is so desolate, both of which I find appealing. This city has potential I think, but before it ever begin to attempt at it much needs to be done. First and foremost with this is the remodeling of its image/s. There is great culture there, but I only saw that in the higher class hotel that we scavenged. I am certain that has to do with the time constraints that we faced but still. If people of higher positions continue to make the decision for others of lower class about what they find entertainment to be than we continue a cycle. Not only for the middle class person trying to “escape” (I hate that idea) his life for a short period of time but also for the people who actually live there. If a tourist only knows of the clichĂ© New Orleans experience because of their socialization and the information given to them while there than they are limited greatly. Where is the freedom, or in a larger scheme the American dream? After all isn’t the American dream to make a better life for yourself and your loved ones. Is that possible for a typical person who has a only state issued education?

No comments:

Post a Comment