Monday, June 29, 2009

Chicago's Lifeline/Timeline/Skyline

My family moves a lot and I have found the next place we should move to! You may have heard of it actually. It goes by the name of the Art Institute in Chicago. : ) I loved this place and love for someone to lock me up in there for a night or week or longer! While there I got to see some absolutely beautiful pieces of art. It was great I actually saw so many of the things my art experience professor talked about! It definitely helped me in my appreciation for art. I always loved it but a picture in a book really doesn’t do some things justice.
The class was asked to reflect on at least one piece of work in Chicago. Well mine is the Chicago skyline. I love that I realized its beauty while sitting for almost an hour right beside the Bean. The skyline is interesting. Because it is like there are two kinds of it combined into one. On the left there are more of the classical structures. These buildings are dominated by Greek columns and the likes. Then to our right there are the much more modern styled buildings. They are on average taller, sleeker, and less personal. I am a romantic so I think that is why I find the curves in the old buildings to be much more appealing than the more common straight lines found in the modern buildings to the right. What is great about a city and its buildings is that they are like a timeline able to be seen by everyone. This is a little way that history is made available to everyone, unlike its typical way of being available to only specific crowds or classes of people.
Then to make the skyline even more wonderful you have two stories weaved into this one thing. The day time and its night life. Now in the day time you see the shapes better. However the buildings are like shells where so many stories stow away while the sun is up. But at night the stories (pun intended) come alive a little more. The lights come on and battle the darkness. But they are scattered leaving a whole different image of the skyline. Then you of course have the lights that garnish the top of the buildings. Ah… It is pretty in its own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment