Saturday, June 6, 2009

Music City=My Undiscovered City

Our tour of Nashville was an interesting experience. After all this is the city that I have called home and explored for years, both in high school and college. Yet, while out I realized that I am picky. I only know the part of Nashville that I wish too. The rest of it I fail to acknowledge. This is limiting, because it does not show me what Nashville really is. It ignores the tourism (that baffles and interests me) and the many other complexities that a city must endure.
One thing that continued to entertain me was the cowboy image. Let’s be honest Nashville does not have cowboys. We have people who visit that want to be such or somehow learned that these two were supposedly inseparable. So you go around the gift shops on Broadway and that is what you find. We continue to perpetuate that image because it is what people expect and want from their country music city and are willing to buy.
The fact that I was pretty oblivious of this occurring speaks of how paralyzed a person can make themselves by falling into habit. Once you get comfortable and quit seeking things you miss a lot. I am all about finding our niche in life, but I think it is important to always visit the neighborhood just to keep fresh and to be aware of everything surrounding you. After all visitors to Nashville are very important to my city and I completely failed to realize that until I went out and explored without my rose colored glasses on.

No comments:

Post a Comment