Monday, July 20, 2009

I Hear a Lovely Sound

Music has played various roles in my life. It can allow me to exhibit a variety of emotions. For this trip it calmed me and helped me find my center one the days when I thought I might have just crashed or cracked. One very important song along the way was Nickel Creek’s “The Lighthouse’s Tale.” This song I originally listen too just because I adore Nickel Creek. However when I started listening oto the lyrics I found it was very relate-able to America! Who knew?!
Instead of the word lighthouse one can substitute the word America. And while this is completely corny (I am the reigning queen of all things corny and lame) it works really well. You find a song that can work as a metaphor. Now I must admit after realizing this I was kind of sad since this song was supposed to work as my escape. But still it does hold some irony. Here are the lyrics. See what you think. I will break down the metaphor that it holds for me post lyrics.

"The Lighthouse's Tale"
-Nickel Creek

I am a lighthouse, worn by the weather and the waves.
I keep my lamp lit, to warn the sailors on their way.

I'll tell a story, paint you a picture from my past.
I was so happy, but joy in this life seldom lasts.

I had a keeper, he helped me warn the ships at sea.
We had grown closer, 'till his joy meant everything to me.

And he was to marry, a girl who shone with beauty and light.
And they loved each other, and with me watched the sunsets into night.

[Chorus:]
And the waves crashing around me, the sand slips out to sea.
And the winds that blow remind me, of what has been, and what can never be.

She'd had to leave us, my keeper he prayed for a safe return.
But when the night came, the weather to a raging storm had turned.

He watched her ship fight, but in vain against the wild and terrible wave.
In me so helpless, as dashed against the rock she met her end.

[Chorus]

Then on the next day, my keeper found her washed up on the SHORE.
He kissed her cold face, that they'd be together soon he'd swore.

I saw him crying, watched as he buried her in the sand.
And then he climbed my tower, and off of the edge of me he ran.

[Chorus]

I am a lighthouse, worn by the weather and the waves.
And though I am empty, I still warn the sailors on their way.

America is worn and has been ravaged by the weather and waves of time. It has prevailed all though and can tell her story. Aka history. **Why his-story.. why wasn’t it her-story?** This lamp/history warns the citizens now of what things can happen if the right choices are not made.
The keeper is of course the American citizens. When all is said and done happiness for our fellow person is what we want. Just like the lighthouse. :)
And this is stretching but.. a girl who’s beauty shone through. That could just potentially be the “American Dream”.. May be? I mean American’s do love it and what it stands for. That iconic dream of happiness, prosperity and love. Maybe I am trying too hard with that one. Hehe

From there the song gets a little bit more down. But still it kind of works. With “watched her ship fight, but in vain against the wild and terrible wave.” American’s are watching as this dream gets battered daily in the crazy life that is led by people today. While the Keeper could not save the beauty in the song may be the American people can have better luck with the saving of the American Dream for all people.

No comments:

Post a Comment